Are you planning any construction or modification of an improvement on your property?
If so, you might need to obtain preapproval for your project, as discussed below.

Q: Why can’t I make whatever improvements or modifications I want to on my own property without approval?
A: Article VII of the Declaration of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions for Estates of Brentwood (CCR) provides for an Architectural Control Committee (ACC). Under Article VII, the ACC is empowered to “use its best efforts to promote and ensure a high level of taste, design, quality, harmony and conformity throughout the [neighborhood] consistent with” the CCR. Requests for exterior additions, changes, or alterations must be submitted to and approved by the ACC “as to harmony of external design and location in relation to surrounding structures.” Article VII further provides that the ACC “shall have sole discretion with respect to taste, design and all standards that are specified herein. One objective of the [ACC] is to prevent unusual, radical, curious, odd, bizarre, peculiar or irregular structures from being built on the property.”
See EOB Covenants and Deed restrictions

Q: What types of improvement or modification projects must be submitted for approval?
A: Anything that modifies the existing look of the home, fence, or the lot. Any element that is added to, or changed on, your home’s structure or lot, such as storage sheds, playground equipment, pergolas/gazebos, pools, sidewalks, patios, fire pits, driveway modifications, changes to roofs, new landscaped areas, new paint choices, etc.

Q: What types of projects do NOT need to be submitted for approval?
A: If you are maintaining your home by replacing existing elements with new but identical design, color, or specs as the old ones, then you do not have to request approval. Examples of such projects include replacing your roof with the same material and color as the old roof, repainting trim, and doors with the same color, replacing small sections of rotten fence, refreshing or replacing existing landscaping with new plants.

Q: How does the review process work?
A: The Estates of Brentwood Homeowners Association (HOA) governing documents stipulate the amount of time the ACC may take to render a decision. For submissions that initially meet all requirements, 30 days is the maximum amount of time allowed. However, the ACC will make every reasonable effort to expedite the review process, with a decision usually rendered in less than 2 weeks. You will receive an email when a decision has been made regarding the project. In some cases, the ACC may request additional clarifying information about your proposal.

Q. What information must I submit for my application to be complete?
A: Applications should include the following information:

  • Completion of all applicable information requested on the application, including owner/applicant and contractor (where applicable) contact information, and a detailed description of the proposed project (attach additional pages if needed)

  • Drawings, brochures, or detailed plans showing the location and dimensions of improvements or additions (lot surveys or aerial photos may be used as a reference)

  • Photos or other descriptions of proposed materials, ie. roof or paint colors, masonry, landscaping material

  • Owner/applicant’s signature following the Owner/Applicant Acknowledgements section of the application form.

Q: How do I submit my completed application and associated supporting documents?
A: Email the items listed above to You should receive email confirmation within five business days that your items have been received by the ACC.

Q: Can I appeal if the ACC denies my request?
A: Yes, appeals of an ACC denial decision must be received by the Board of Directors of Estates of Brentwood Homeowners Association, Inc. within 30 days from the date the denial notice was transmitted to the property owner.

For more information about the ACC review and appeals processes, see the Estates of Brentwood website documents at:
Review Process and Application